Hospitality & Bar
Hospitality Employment History
Summary in reverse order.
- 2 years Bartender/Promotions Manager in the high-volume Rock Bar, Nelson, New Zealand. 2004-5. As well as running the bar through the weekends when we had queues around the block, I developed much of our promotional materials: flyers, posters, website.
- 3 months Bartender in tourist bar The Frog, Hersonissos, Greece. 2003. Mainly serving cocktails in a capacity 200 disco bar.
- 3 Months Bar/Floor Manager in Dance Club 99 and Baileys Irish Club, Hersonissos, Greece. Lead cocktail bartender, Team training, some Stock control and Promotions.
- 1 Year planning & renovating Cafe/bar in Leros, Greece towards setting up my own business. 2002. Eventual Greek beauracratic/licence problems prevented completion.
Completed the Sale of Liquor Act & Host Responsibility examinations to become a licensed New Zealand Bar Manager.
2 Years as Lead Bartender at TGI Fridays Christchurch (bar/restaurant cap. 600). 1996.
- Team Management - co-ordinating a team of 8 'tenders at once, and staff training
- Till Control - opening, closing and cash-up. Stock & equipment management. POS registers.
- Performance Bartending - Flair Juggling, jokes and tricks
- Extreme Cocktail Service - A 250 cocktail menu and highest standards of preparation, training & service
- 1 Winter as Bartender for Bass Taverns, London. Various locations. 1994
Beyond using POS equipment and breaking up bar fights, there was nothing remarkable about the tasks here. Beer-pulling for regulars.
- 2 Years as Bar Manager/DJ at Alexander Bar Hersonissos, Greece. (cafe/disco cap 150) 1993-94
This was a 24-hour 'disco bar', which had me working 17 hours a day, 7 days a week for two seasons. My duties included
- Team management - hiring/training/firing staff
- Animation - making music and entertaining clients
- Management - sole charge of the business for weeks on end
- Upkeep - Sign painting, repairs, wiring, decoration and innovation
- Part time Stripper and bar hand at Route 66 Christchurch (cabaret bar cap. 150)
'Ladies Night' performances. Having 80 screaming women try to pull your clothes of is an experience every young guy should have at least once in his life :)
Hotel Porter at Hotel Kitanoya Japan (hotel/restaurant cap 380)
Mostly kitchen duties, but I did learn conversational Japanese
As a Language Tutor I have strong communication skills with non-English Speakers, besides being conversational in Japanese and Greek and familiar with German and Italian in a service environment.
As a DJ concentrating on party-rock, I have managed crowds with a sensitivity to the atmosphere, and a wide range of musical tastes .
As a Flair Bartender (cocktail juggler) and professional barman I have a deep knowlege of 'mixology' and cocktail recipies and history, as well as high-speed skills and a commitment to money-making service